Today I ran into this problem when setting up the SQL Server Management Tools for SQL Server 2005. Like any good little code slinger, I googled (if you are particular to Microsoft, you can read that as “binged”) to see who’s had the problem, because it’s no news that when you aren’t on the crest of the tech wave that someone else has had the same issue.
In particular, MSXML 6 would fail and the log would have a message similar to:
MSI (s) (40:58) [22:16:00:859]: MainEngineThread is returning 1605
Well, undoubtedly I found many other results for others who have had this issue, primarily those that have XP SP3. To get around this failure, you’ve got to install the tool available at the link below and then use it to remove any entry starting with MSXML 6. For me, I had two entries, one “parser” and one SP2. Afterwards, just start the install over again.
I think what made the experience frustrating for me is that the SQL Server 2005 Setup fails in too friendly of a way. I’m used to the brutal honesty of the NUnit GUI. Give me a big red bar to illustrate how bad I failed or get out.
For the uninstall tool:
A couple resources about the problem itself: